AAUW seeks to promote inclusion and awareness for all members to create an equitable, sustainable and inclusive membership reflective of today’s world.
We recognize the need to attract and retain members and to celebrate the diversity that all individuals bring. Members of AAUW have long raised awareness through their impactful initiatives, programs and research.
AAUW is dedicated to helping members become more comfortable sharing their perspectives outside of diversity trainings and to address diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in all aspects of their work and lives. We seek to encourage ongoing dialogue that will inspire all members to bring these values to their personal and professional interactions. Within AAUW, our goal is to turn these conversations into actionable goals and strategies for each branch. We seek to help members understand how inclusion factors into every decision made in the branch and in their lives. AAUW hopes to bring inclusion to the workplace, including transparent advancement and opportunities for development.
The AAUW Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) resources aim to identify best practices for promoting diversity, equity and inclusion within AAUW. These resources present guidelines for how AAUW branches, national members, student members and individual members can demonstrate an understanding of AAUW’s mission, values, goals and strategic plan. It is meant to start the inclusion conversation. We encourage all members to seek ways to incorporate inclusive practices into their branches and daily life.
As Maya Angelou said, “In diversity, there is beauty and there is strength.” AAUW respects and celebrates the diversity of our members and those differences form the backbone of our organization. These resources are one way to show others how to bring together differences for positive change through inclusive practices.
Thank you for your efforts. We hope to help create positive change.
- Fain, Lisa Z., and Lois J. Zachary. Bridging Differences for Better Mentoring Lean Forward, Learn, and Leverage. Oakland, California: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc., 2020.
- Hewlett, Sylvian Ann. #MeToo in the Corporate World. New York, New York: HarperCollins, 2020.
- Huang, Laura. Edge Turning Adversity into Advantage. New York, New York: Portfolio / Penguin, 2020.
- Robbins, Mike. We’re All in This Together: Creating a Team Culture of High Performance, Trust, and Belonging. Sydney, Australia: Hay House, Inc., 2020.
- Sarsour, Linda. We Are Not Here to Be Bystanders: a Memoir of Love and Resistance. New York, New York: 37 INK, Simon & Schuster, 2020.
- Hecht, Ben. “Moving Beyond Diversity Toward Racial Equity.” Harvard Business Review, June 16, 2020.
- “The Learning Zone Model.” ThemPra Social Pedagogy, January 18, 2016.
- “Survey: Assessing Our Staff’s Racial Equity & Inclusion Competency.” Living Cities, April 10, 2018.
- Wilkins, LaTonya, Sarah Gallo, Training Industry, and Kathryn Merwin. “How to Use Coaching to Support Diversity and Inclusion.” Training Industry, July 27, 2020.
- For Students:
- Blair, Niya. University of Houston. “Activities – Diversity and Inclusion Resources – Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) – University of Houston.” University of Houston, 2017.
- Krause, Camryn. “Icebreakers and Mixers That Promote Inclusion.” Fond du Lac County: University of Wisconsin, 2012.
- Stonehill College, Office of Intercultural Affairs. “Practicing Inclusion: Icebreakers and Team Builders for Diversity.” Easton, MA: Stonehill College, 2012.
- University of Missouri, Division of Inclusion, Diversity & Equity. “Diversity and Inclusion.” Diversity and inclusion | University of Missouri System, May 21, 2020.
- For the Workplace:
- Atlassian. “Atlassian Team Playbook – Build Strong Teams with Plays.” Atlassian. Atlassian, 2020.
- Clark, Don. Diversity Activities and Ice-Breakers. Big Dog, Little Dog, and Knowledge Jump, August 25, 2000.
- Keyes, The Magic Comic Jamahl. “25 Diversity and Inclusion Activities.” SlideShare, April 11, 2016.
- Kim, Jennifer. “50 Ideas for Cultivating Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace.” That You Can Start Today | LinkedIn Talent Blog, May 1, 2019.
- Palios, Stefan. “Diversity & Inclusion Activities To Do With Your Team.” Crescendo. Crescendo, February 26, 2019.
- Sarma, Susmita. “15 Activities To Promote Diversity And Inclusion In The Workplace.” Vantage Circle HR Blog. Vantage Circle Content, August 11, 2020.
- Sobel, Eli. “Inclusive Team-Building Exercise Ideas.” She Geeks Out, July 24, 2019.
- Suarez, Pedro. “6 Diversity & Inclusion Activities That Can Spark Real Change.” Five to Nine. Five to Nine, October 11, 2019.
- Up, Sign. “Diversity & Inclusion In Practice.” D&I In Practice. D&I In Practice, January 31, 2020.
- Jana, Tiffany. “The Power of Privilege.” February 5, 2014. TEDxRVAWomen, Richmond, VA. MPEG-4, 14:57.
- Melville, Doug. “Improving your diversity IQ.” May 1, 2015. TEDxSyracuseUniversity, Syracuse, NY. MPEG-4: 8:50.
- O’Grady, Sean, moderator. Deloitte Insights. Featuring Carl Allegretti and Stedman Graham, aired July 25, 2012.
- Turnbull, Helen. “Inclusion, Exclusion, Illusion and Collusion.” September 18, 2013. TEDxDelrayBeach, Delray Beach, FL. MPEG-4, 13:15.
The Future Workforce: More Diverse than Ever
AAUW members, fellows and award winners are pioneers and have changed the world. Learn more about how they are making history today