The American Association of University Women (AAUW), a gender equity advocacy organization, is one of the nation’s leading voices promoting equity and education for women and girls and empowering them to reach their highest potential. What began in 1881 as a group of 17 like-minded women has grown into a powerful grassroots network with more than 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 local branches, and more than 800 college and university partners across the United States.
An exciting opportunity for an entry-level communications professional to join an energetic, high-performing team committed to advancing equity for all women and girls. The Communications Assistant will play a key role in supporting the full range of AAUW’s communications and external relations efforts. The role includes working on all aspects of AAUW’s website, newsletters, publications, social media and other digital outreach efforts, as well as assisting with the team’s overall media relations functions.
- Assists with all Communications and External Relations department activities, including writing, editing and proofreading of high-quality copy for website, newsletters, social media posts and emails.
- Works in AAUW’s content management system (WordPress) to maintain and update web content.
- Maintains department calendars and helps with tracking, scheduling and completion of various communications projects.
- Creates content for and posts on social media, including on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and other emerging platforms.
- Assists with analytics of web, email and social media traffic.
- Supports media relations activities, including maintaining media lists, assisting with media outreach and monitoring media clips.
- Develops monthly reports of communications activities to provide updates to AAUW’s internal and external stakeholders.
- Supports administrative functions of the communications department
- Minimum of one-year prior communications work experience, including internships.
- Strong critical thinking, writing and editing skills. Demonstrated ability to proofread and copy edit is essential.
- Responsible self-starter with creative problem-solving skills. Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively as part of a team.
- Able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously, to prioritize workload and to meet occasional tight deadlines.
- Experience working in WordPress or other content management systems. Familiarity of Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro, and Adobe After Effects or related programs a plus.
- A can-do approach to work, a willingness to contribute to all department efforts and an eagerness to learn and grow professionally.
- Prioritizes intersectionality, diversity and inclusion.
- Clear understanding and commitment to AAUW mission, goals and objectives.
Compensation & Location
The salary range for this position is $43,000 – $47,000 contingent on relevant experience. During COVID, this position can be worked remotely with DC, MD, or VA as the tax withholding state of record. However, when AAUW’s office re-opens, the incumbent will be required to work at AAUW headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate position title, Communications Assistant, in subject line.