AAUW supports the following measures to lower the student debt burden on women and their families:
- Protect and expand Pell Grants for low-income students to reduce the amount of student loan debt they have to take on to complete a degree.
- Increase funding for public colleges and universities and support efforts to move toward tuition- and debt-free options for students.
- Make it easier for students to enroll in income-driven repayment options. In addition, student loan borrowers should have protections from abusive and fraudulent practices by schools, lenders and loan servicers.
- Address both the academic and overall financial needs of students, such as access to child care and other non-tuition expenses.
- For employers, provide employee matches and other forms of support for student loan debt repayment.
Members of AAUW’s Action Network receive urgent e-mail notices and text messages when their advocacy is needed most. With our online Two-Minute Activist tool, it takes just minutes and an internet connection to make your voice heard on issues impacting women and girls!