Every Voice Matters
AAUW members play an important role in shaping the future for women and girls by choosing the organization’s leaders and policy priorities.
This year, members voted on four directors. Voting took place online, unless a member requested a paper ballot.
Board responsibilities include:
- Oversight of the organization’s mission and goals and implementation of the strategic plan.
- Approval and oversight of AAUW’s annual budget and regular review of finances and investments.
- Oversight and annual evaluation of the CEO.
- Oversight of legal and compliance issues.
- Approval of governance matters including appointment of committees, review of bylaw changes, Public Policy Priorities and other proposals to be voted on by the membership, and board evaluation.
Board members should have:
- A clear understanding of the fiduciary duties of directors and the governance function of a national nonprofit board.
- Demonstrated leadership experience with AAUW or other non- or for-profit organizations, particularly national or international in scope.
- Expertise in one or more specific areas such as advocacy, business management, communication, diversity and inclusion, finance, fundraising, non-profit governance, marketing, public policy, research, social media, strategic planning and/or technology.
- A commitment to contribute financially to AAUW annually.
- The time and energy required to participate fully in the work of the board.
AAUW Election Process
Each spring, AAUW members have the opportunity to vote on candidates for open seats on the organization’s board of directors, along with any proposed amendments to the AAUW bylaws. AAUW’s board is made up of 15 AAUW members, including 12 board members elected by the AAUW membership and three board members appointed by the board of directors. Board members have staggered terms.
Every two years, members vote on revisions to our public policy priorities, which establish the federal laws and policies the organization will focus on as well as guidelines for state and local action. Members approved these priorities in 2019.
Please direct membership inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.