Director of Human Resources
The American Association of University Women (AAUW), a gender equity advocacy organization, is one of the nation’s leading voices promoting equity and education for women and girls and empowering them to reach their highest potential. What began in 1881 as a group of 17 like-minded women has grown into a powerful grassroots network with more than 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 local branches, and more than 800 college and university partners across the United States.
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for managing AAUW’s human resource programs, services, and policies to support organizational strategic goals and the strategic plan. The HR Director will have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Human Resources systems, policies, laws and regulations with in depth experience and a deep commitment to helping shape an organizational culture based in our values and strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Effectively plan, design, develop, implement and evaluate human resource programs, services, processes and policies to support AAUW’s strategic goals including a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Design compensation and benefits programs that support the organization’s ability to attract, retain and motivate employees.
- Oversee the management and administration of the organization’s compensation, and benefits programs, to ensure equity and competitive compensation and practices.
- Provide advice and counsel to AAUW’s managers related to carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters.
- Manage and resolve employee relations issues and handle all aspects of resolution, including performance issues and compliance with all relevant legal requirements.
- Partner with Managing Director/Chief of Staff and senior management to enhance overall organization culture and AAUW’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Partner with the Managing Director/Chief of Staff in investigating and resolving employee concerns and/or complaints including bringing best practices in investigation, documentation, and ensuring equity in resolution.
- Develop and oversee proactive recruitment strategies aimed to attract diverse, highly qualified candidate pools.
- Oversee the performance management process, to ensure the organization is meeting annual review timelines and that there is consistency and equity in ratings criteria throughout the organization.
- Provide supervisors guidance in coaching, mentoring, and when necessary, managing disciplinary matters with their staff.
- Oversee the onboarding process to make sure that new members of the AAUW team are effectively oriented and supported as they enter the organization.
- Develop comprehensive programs to support a workplace culture of team-building, collaboration, and innovation aligned with AAUW’s values and diversity, equity and inclusion work.
- Participate in annual budget process and help ensure HR department’s compliance with the budget.
- Oversee the HR department’s use of the HRIS and ensure proper retention of employee records
- Monitor and ensure the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews and modifies policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Manage and coach any direct reports.
- Performs other duties as required.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of 10 years relevant experience, including at least 5 years in managerial roles.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Experience implementing, executing, and maintaining diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Ability to collaborate and establish effective relationships organizationally.
- Experience developing a high-performance, collaborative and results-driven team.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to inclusion and equity.
- Clear understanding and commitment to AAUW mission, goals and objectives.
Compensation and Location
The salary range for this position is $125,000 to $155,000, and it is offered along with a competitive benefits package. The position is based in Washington, DC.
During COVID, this position can be worked remotely with DC, MD, or VA as the tax withholding state of record. However, when AAUW’s office re-opens, the position incumbent will be required to work at AAUW headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Apply: Submit a résumé with cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications by email, indicating position title (Director of Human Resources) to firstname.lastname@example.org.