Director of Institutional Advancement
The American Association of University Women (AAUW), a gender equity advocacy organization, is one of the nation’s leading voices promoting equity and education for women and girls and empowering them to reach their highest potential. What began in 1881 as a group of 17 like-minded women has grown into a powerful grassroots network with more than 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 local branches, and more than 800 college and university partners across the United States.
The Director of Institutional Advancement is responsible for managing AAUW’s corporate and foundation fundraising, cause marketing and sponsorship programs. The Director maximizes revenue from corporations and foundations and manages a comprehensive prospecting, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship program.
- Collaborate with the Senior Director of Advancement to set annual actual and stretch financial targets for corporate and foundation fundraising, cause marketing and sponsorship programs.
- Develop strong relationships with and personally solicit a portfolio of prospects through personal visits and regular phone and written communication, and secure significant donations and sponsorships ensuring achievement of actual and stretch goals.
- Work with colleagues throughout AAUW to keep informed of current and planned projects, aligning AAUW’s strategic plan and programs with funding opportunities and developing project concepts and budgets in coordination with colleagues responsible for project implementation.
- Work effectively within AAUW’s relationship management systems including maintaining donor assignments and moves management processes to build relationships with key prospects and donors and ensure sustainable organizational growth.
- Write effective gift agreements and contracts ensuring donor intent and deliverables are clearly articulated.
- Manage a comprehensive stewardship program for institutional donors ensuring grant deliverables are met.
- Effectively leverage the CEO, Board of Directors, and other key leaders and volunteers in the identification and engagement of corporate and foundation donors.
- Provide support to senior leaders and staff members, ensuring they are confident and comfortable in interactions with donors within this portfolio and are prepared for prospect and donor visits.
- Contribute to regular advancement and partnership development reports to the CEO and the Board of Directors.
- Manage and coach any direct reports.
- Minimum of 8 years relevant experience including at least 5 years in revenue-generating roles.
- Demonstrated success managing fundraising or other revenue-generating programs resulting in measurable revenue growth.
- Supervisory experience and a record of fostering an inclusive environment between staff.
- Systematic and highly tailored approach to engaging prospects and donors.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and establish effective cross-functional relationships organizationally.
- Experience developing a high-performance, collaborative and results-driven team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to inclusion and equity.
- Clear understanding and commitment to AAUW mission, goals and objectives.
Compensation and Location
The salary range for this position is $110,000 to $130,000 and it is offered along with a competitive benefits package. The position is based in Washington, DC.
During COVID, this position can be worked remotely with DC, MD, or VA as the tax withholding state of record. However, when AAUW’s office re-opens, the position incumbent will be required to work at AAUW headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Apply: Submit a résumé with cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications by email, indicating position title (Director of Institutional Advancement) to firstname.lastname@example.org.