The American Association of University Women (AAUW), a gender equity advocacy organization, is one of the nation’s leading voices promoting equity and education for women and girls and empowering them to reach their highest potential. What began in 1881 as a group of 17 like-minded women has grown into a powerful grassroots network with more than 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 local branches, and more than 800 college and university partners across the United States.
The Communications Manager will manage AAUW’s social media strategy and media relations outreach and will contribute to creating content for the organization’s website, newsletters and other communications outlets. The manager will work with other AAUW teams to develop strategies to raise awareness and visibility of AAUW’s programs, research and advocacy efforts and to attract a new generation of members and supporters to the organization.
- Manages AAUW media outreach efforts including drafting press releases, developing media lists and pitching stories to national and local publications and media outlets.
- Manages and executes social media strategy for organization.
- Oversees the development and design of social media creative assets including infographics and video content.
- Identifies and builds relationships with relevant media organizations and with social media influencers.
- Creates compelling content aligned with organization’s goals and priorities, promoting AAUW’s work in advocacy, research, policy, membership, programs, fellowships and grants.
- Contributes to conceptualizing, creating and and/or editing written and graphic content for AAUW’s website, newsletters and other communication outlets.
- Maintains and produces reports of digital analytics and uses metrics to adapt and improve content strategy and audience targeting.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Five to seven years of experience in communications, media relations, social media or related fields.
- Excellent writing and editing skills – with focus on ability to develop concise, compelling and clear digital content.
- Strong time- and project-management skills, including ability to meet multiple deadlines while maintaining high level of quality.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite/Final Cut Pro, Canva and Infogram or similar programs a plus.
- Self-starter who can adapt to a quickly evolving organization.
- Prioritizes intersectionality, diversity and inclusion.
- Clear understanding and commitment to AAUW mission, goals and objectives.
Compensation & Location
The salary range for this position is $50,000 – $70,000 contingent on relevant experience. During COVID, this position can be worked remotely with DC, MD or VA as the tax withholding state of record. However, when AAUW’s office re-opens, the position incumbent will be required to work at AAUW headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Apply: Submit a résumé with cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications by email, indicating the position title (Communications Manager) to firstname.lastname@example.org.