AAUW is Looking for a Branch Relations and Member Engagement Intern
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is the nation’s leading voice promoting equity and education for women and girls. Since our founding in 1881, AAUW members have examined and taken positions on the fundamental issues of the day — educational, social, economic, and political.
AAUW’s mission to advance equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research connects and rallies our 170,000 members and supporters in 1,000 branches and chapters at the local, state, national, and global levels to empower women and girls.
Gain hands-on, real world experience all while being introduced to the field of membership development. This internship is ideal for students who are passionate about equity for women and who are seeking to explore professional career possibilities in non-profit, member relations, or related fields.
AAUW is looking for a professional, creative and motivated intern looking to gain skills not usually found in the classroom (e.g. volunteer management) to join the Branch Relations team. The Branch Relations team serves as the lead contact and resource for AAUW’s branches, Younger Women’s Task Force chapters, and states for recruitment and retention activities.
Availability of 20 hours per week is strongly desired.
- Contribute to content development for the monthly Membership Matters newsletter;
- Contribute to the development of the Younger Women’s Task Force quarterly newsletter and member engagement activities;
- Conduct research to inform the Branch Relations team on trends and topics related to their work;
- Assist in the development of the AAUW Membership social media presence;
- Review the newsletters and websites of AAUW affiliated entities for newsworthy items to post on social networks or to feature in newsletters or on the AAUW website;
- Contribute content development for the Membership section of the AAUW website;
- Assist in the development of content and visuals for presentations to local AAUW affiliated entities;
- Assist the development and implementation of online resources for recruitment and retention tools for the Branch Relations area;
- Administrative work such as copying, proofreading, and other basic duties may be required on an as-needed basis.
- Interest in learning about women’s leadership, volunteer management and the functioning of a national non-profit organization;
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills and ability to work under deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, professional demeanor, self-directed and independent;
- Advanced internet and computer skills, including experience with MS Office programs, and familiarity with social networking sites;
- Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to grasp new ideas quickly and manage change;
- Willingness to contribute ideas and feedback and to provide suggestions;
- Good research skills;
- Good sense of humor.
Submit a résumé with cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications as well as a 1-2 page writing sample, and contact information for 2 references by e-mail indicating Branch Relations and Member Engagement Intern in the subject line to AAUW Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.