AAUW is Looking for a Corporate and Foundation Partnerships Intern
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is the nation’s leading voice promoting equity and education for women and girls. Since our founding in 1881, AAUW members have examined and taken positions on the fundamental issues of the day — educational, social, economic, and political.
Since AAUW’s founding our members and supporters have spoken out about policies important to women and girls. Without their voices, invaluable legislation would have never been passed. In recent years, such legislation included the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, and the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act.
AAUW’s policy work connects and rallies advocates at the local, state, national, and global levels to advance our work to empower women and girls. With the member-endorsed Public Policy Program as our guide, AAUW uses lobbying and grassroots efforts to push forward policies that break through educational and economic barriers for women.
AAUW’s Corporate and Foundation Partnerships team has created partnerships with companies such as LUNA, Dell EMC, Lockheed Martin, P&G, Coca Cola, Verizon, Arconic, and Symantec to advance AAUW’s mission to promote gender equity in STEM, Leadership, and the Pay Gap.
The AAUW Corporate and Foundation Partnerships Team seeks an undergraduate or graduate student to work on prospect research, writing, and development database systems within the Corporate and Foundations portfolio. AAUW is a national equity organization that was founded in 1881. The AAUW nationwide community includes 180,000 members and supporters who are committed to breaking through educational and economic barriers for women and girls.
This position is ideal for students who are passionate about women’s issues and who are seeking to explore career possibilities in philanthropy, development, cause marketing, and event sponsorships. Availability 25 hours per week is strongly desired, and preference will be given to candidates who can commit to working through the spring. The internship can be used for academic credit and is paid hourly.
- Assist in building the pipeline of prospective corporate and foundation funders to AAUW through research and analysis of corporate philanthropy programs
- Assist with tracking corporate and foundation donor outreach and ensure system is kept updated
- Assist with event sponsorship needs for AAUW’s educational events and conferences
- Work effectively and collaboratively with the Corporate and Foundation Partnerships team and other AAUW staff.
- Perform related duties as required and assigned
- One year of related experience in fundraising or an equivalent combination of training and experience related to the duties of the position.
- Exceptional ability to organize work, follow through on projects, anticipate project needs, function independently as well as part of a team, and work effectively with staff and volunteers.
- Ability to effectively communicate with members, donors, and the general public via mail, telephone, and email.
- Excellent oral communication skills; strong interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter with excellent writing and research skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- High degree of proficiency with computers and computer programs – particularly Microsoft Office, Salesforce, and fundraising software such as Raiser’s Edge preferred but not required.
- Ability to organize work, follow through on projects, anticipate project needs, function independently as well as part of a team, and work effectively with volunteers
- Interest in equity for women and girls and/or other related social justices issues preferred.
Apply: Submit a résumé with cover letter detailing your interest, qualifications, and availability by e-mail indicating position title to AAUW Human Resources at email@example.com.