Apply for Appointment to the AAUW Nominating Committee
The AAUW Nominating Committee is responsible for developing a pipeline of qualified candidates to serve on the AAUW Board of Directors in elected and appointed positions, in accordance with the AAUW Bylaws.
Thank you for your interest in applying for appointment to the AAUW Nominating Committee. The application deadline has passed.
Qualifications for Appointment to the AAUW Nominating Committee
The Nominating Committee has a significant strategic role in AAUW’s future. Committee members are responsible for recruiting and vetting candidates for election and appointment to the AAUW Board of Directors. Board candidates must have the skills and experience necessary to qualify them to be national AAUW leaders and to make decisions that will advance AAUW’s mission, as well as protect and grow the reputation, membership, and assets of the organization.
In addition to critical thinking and a desire to build the organization’s leadership development, individuals applying for the AAUW Nominating Committee must
- Submit the application for committee membership as posted on the AAUW website. (The AAUW Board of Directors will determine the composition and terms of the committee and appoint the chair and members, as designated in the AAUW Bylaws. The board chair, vice chair, and chief executive officer may not be members of the Nominating Committee.)
- Demonstrate commitment to the AAUW mission, vision, and values.
- Understand AAUW’s programs, strategic direction, and policies.
- Review and understand AAUW Bylaws, structure, and governance.
- Possess prior or current leadership experience at the AAUW affiliate and/or national level or at an outside organization.
- Commit to work within time lines and deadlines established for the committee’s work.
- Have consistent email accessibility with the expectation of daily monitoring and response and be technologically proficient and skilled in networking.
Nominating Committee members must perform the following duties:
- Network and communicate with AAUW stakeholders (members, leaders, board, staff) as well as external leaders and stakeholders not currently affiliated with AAUW to acquire information for candidate recommendations and assessment.
- Build relations and recruit potential applicants for elected and appointed board positions from both within and outside AAUW.
- Agree to maintain the confidentiality of information received as a committee member.
- Attend all scheduled committee meetings and participate fully in the committee’s work.
- Use approved criteria, including a weighted matrix to screen applicants for suitability and qualifications for national board service.
- Identify potential candidates for future service on the AAUW Board of Directors and maintain a list of the identified candidates for submission to the AAUW Board Secretary.
- Be proficient in the use of email, texting, and opening attachments, including Word and PDF files, and be able to access social media.
- Maintain minutes of all meetings to be provided to the board if requested.
AAUW acknowledges and honors the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals and seeks a diverse membership, workforce, leadership team, and board of directors. AAUW affirms there shall be no barriers to full participation in this organization on the basis of gender, race and ethnicity, age, nationality, religion, disability, sexual orientation, sexual identity, geographical location, and socioeconomic status.
For questions about the Nominating Committee, please contact Roberta Travis at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.785.7710.