AAUW Outlook Spring/Summer 2014: Working Parents
Volume 108, No. 2
Isn’t It Time for Paid Parental Leave?
It’s not just Scandinavia that has better maternity leave than we do. It’s every industrialized country on the planet.
Do you have a bundle of joy — or several — at home? Congratulations. Now you get to fork over college-tuition-sized payments for child care whose quality no one can guarantee.
More women are saying no thanks to having kids. Why is child-free, for some, the way to be?
Elder Care and Work-Life Imbalance
Caring for elderly parents is becoming another full-time job for many workers.
Also in this Issue
- AAUW members started preschools in the early 20th century to provide child care for working moms, and some branches still operate schools today.
- Spread women’s suffrage history with a new learning tool that uses AAUW archives.
- This spring, students all over the country highlighted sexual assault on their college campuses.
- President Barack Obama signed executive orders on Equal Pay Day to give women pay protections.
- Lilly Ledbetter’s story of pay discrimination is hitting the big screen.
Outlook on the Web
|It’s never too early to be a Title IX Champion. Just ask these teenagers.|
|Thanks, Mr. President! AAUW staff celebrated when the president signed two executive orders to help women fight for fair pay.|
|Keep calm and fight the patriarchy. The new Younger Women’s Task Force T-shirt is a hit.|