AAUW Board Position Description
AAUW’s mission is to advance gender equity for women and girls through research, education, and advocacy. For more information, please visit www.aauw.org.
The chair is responsible for leading AAUW’s board of directors in the board’s oversight of the operations
and governance of AAUW. The chair will provide leadership to AAUW as it implements the strategic
plan, furthers the organization’s mission, and supports meaningful and sustainable impact in
empowering women and girls. There is no financial compensation for service as chair, but reasonable
expenses associated with service in this position are reimbursable in accordance with AAUW’s Travel
and Meals Policy.
Leadership, Governance, and Oversight
- Preside over all AAUW board and Executive Committee meetings, and set the board’s agenda in
consultation with the chief executive officer and the board
- Serve as an ambassador for the organization and advocate AAUW’s mission to internal and
- Execute, with the CEO, legal documents of AAUW, as necessary
- Assist the Nominating Committee in recruiting board members and encourage fellow board
members to assist in the recruitment process
- Work closely with the CEO on establishing the organization’s strategic direction and developing
and implementing AAUW’s strategic plan.
- Serve as an ex officio member of all committees except the Nominating Committee and Audit
- Oversee the process for committee appointments and board liaison committee appointments
- Conduct or facilitate quarterly conference calls with committee and task force chairs
- As needed, provide input to committee and taskforce chairs on committee and taskforce
priorities and operations
- Oversee the process for conducting formal board assessments and board meeting evaluations
- Oversee the process for hiring and annual evaluation of the chief executive officer
- Provide leadership so that board members understand and uphold their fiduciary duties of care,
and loyalty and are faithful to and support the organization’s mission.
- Serves as chair of the AAUW Action Fund and works closely with the AAUW CEO, CFO, and other
relevant AAUW Action Fund officers in the preparation and presentation of the Action Fund’s
annual budget and any other material Action Fund matters to the AAUW Fund board for
- Works closely with the AAUW CEO, CFO and other relevant AAUW officers and committees in
the preparation and presentation to or approval by the board of AAUW annual budgets, audit
reports, financial statements, proposed changes to the AAUW bylaws and Public Policy
Priorities, and other material business decisions requiring board action and any matters
requiring a vote of the membership
- Treat AAUW as a top philanthropic priority by making an annual stretch financial gift based on
- Help ensure 100% board member participation in meeting philanthropic goals by actively
encouraging annual contributions commensurate with board members’ individual capacity
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward AAUW donors, and promote a culture of
philanthropy to fellow board members
- Previous service on the AAUW board of directors or one of its predecessor corporations
- Leadership experience with nonprofit or for-profit boards or volunteer organizations
- Demonstrated leadership in organizational and management skills
- Experience with development and implementation of organizational strategic plans
- Understanding of financial accounting and best practices for nonprofit organizations
- Understanding of board governance
- Ability to organize/adjust time commitment to AAUW as needed to meet organizational needs
Information on board responsibilities, expectations of board members, and how and when to apply to
the board can be found at https://www.aauw.org/resource/national-state-and-branch-leadershippositions.
AAUW acknowledges and honors the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals and seeks a
diverse membership, workforce, leadership team and board of directors. AAUW affirms there shall be
no barriers to full participation in this organization on the basis of gender, race & ethnicity, age,
nationality, religion, disability, sexual orientation, sexual identity, geographical location, and socioeconomic status.
Governance history, policies, and procedures for managing the organization and conducting AAUW’s affairs.
Understand the responsibilities of all AAUW board members and volunteer leaders.
Directory of leaders responsible for the governance of our 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation.