AAUW Thanks YouNovember 14, 2016
Almost to the day, 135 years ago, 17 trailblazing American women came together to find community. They had fought for and obtained a higher education. There was no precedent, mentorship was unheard of, and they were scarcely made to feel welcome. So they leaned on one another, and together they began a legacy of empowering women and girls that we carry on today.
We’ve dedicated this week to giving thanks to their legacy — and to today’s AAUW members, supporters, and volunteers who continue our founders’ fight and exemplify their sense of community. Our battles are different today. But we know that those original trailblazers would be standing shoulder-to-shoulder with us, as we champion Title IX and safe campuses, demand equal pay for equal work, and empower the next generation of women leaders.
The dedication of AAUW members, supporters, and volunteers is stronger than ever in our nearly 2000 communities and campuses across the country. Together, you’ve ensured that much of our commitment to supporting women’s education is funded in perpetuity. You’re making sure that we’ll rise to meet the challenges of today and tomorrow. What’s more, your philanthropy, perseverance, and passion are empowering millions of women, girls, and their families.
Without a doubt, it’s easy to see how you’ve helped AAUW make a difference in so many lives.
Thanks to you,
- 36 states introduced equal pay legislation in 2016. Six states successfully passed laws that will help millions of women and their families.
- 800 participants took AAUW’s salary negotiation facilitator training. In turn, thousands more women will learn how to fight for what they’re worth.
- 65,000 actions were taken by AAUW’s Two-Minute Activists. You’ve made your voice heard in the halls of power on key issues, from advocating for a full bench at the Supreme Court, to improving Title IX implementation, to protecting voting rights, to fighting for fair pay.
- 3,600 middle school girls were inspired to pursue science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) careers in 2016. We know that the girls we introduce to STEM today will become the innovators of tomorrow.
- 700 Title IX coordinators in 29 states were educated and informed about their roles and responsibilities. Your championing Title IX will help thousands of students across the country.
- 900 campus changemakers will alter the face of leadership after attending the 2017 National Conference for College Women Student Leaders (NCCWSL). Ask anyone who’s been to NCCWSL: These students are going to change the world.
Those are just a few highlights from a banner year of great achievements — all built on the unwavering support of AAUW’s members, supporters, and volunteers. Since our founding in 1881, AAUW members have known that making real, positive, and lasting change is hard. It takes countless acts of hard work and determination day after day, year after year, from one generation of trailblazers to the next.
We treasure and appreciate all that you do. Thank you for working as one AAUW to change the climate and empower women and girls. On behalf of AAUW’s staff, your board of directors, your more than 170,000 fellow members and supporters nationwide, and the millions of lives you’ve changed together, thank you for your philanthropy, your perseverance, and your passion — this year, every year, and in the years to come.
This post was written by AAUW Board Chair Patricia Fae Ho.