“Tweet Up” with the Secretary of Education on Friday

January 04, 2012

To kick off 2012 and recognize the 40th anniversary of Title IX this year, AAUW is proud to host Secretary of Education Arne Duncan for our “tweet-up” (a meet-up on Twitter) this Friday, January 6, at 4 p.m. EST.

Though best known for creating opportunities for women and girls in athletics, Title IX affects all areas of education. This is an exclusive chance to have your questions about education equity for girls and boys answered directly by the secretary. Russlynn Ali, assistant secretary for civil rights at the Department of Education, and Lisa Maatz, AAUW’s director of public policy and government relations, will also answer questions. Submit yours via AAUW’s Facebook page, tweet them using the hashtag #T9Talk, or write them in the comments section below.

During the tweet-up, priority consideration will be given to questions that address equity in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM); sexual harassment and bullying; athletics; career and technical training; and education for pregnant women and students who have children.

We can’t wait to hear from you! Be sure to follow the event on Friday to see if your question is asked. You can even watch a live stream on the Department of Education’s website.

Administrator’s update: Unfortunately, we will not be able to live stream the Tweet-Up as originally planned but a full transcript will be available. You can also use http://tweetchat.com/room/t9talk to follow the conversation live.

Erin Prangley By:   |   January 04, 2012

1. Avatar Tutoring says:

Another good blog, I am glad knowing this kind of information as student, it helps me a lot. Too bad i don’t have this in our place.

2. Avatar allusateacher says:

WHAT ABOUT TITLE VII……..??? …and its enforcement???

This title prohibits sexual harassment (a form of bullying) – against ALL public school participants (including employees, teachers, and students) – yet this problem remains apparently “rampant and “unenforceable.”

Many, many STATE statutes are ineffective “feel good” laws – without any remedies for victims. This needs to change. To what extent does the DOE address this issue? this Title?

3. erinprangley erinprangley says:

Friday’s #T9Talk trended #6 nationally! @arneduncan was trending #1 nationally! Check out the convo! Go to http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23t9talk to view all the questions and answers.

4. Avatar Lori says:

Feeling helpless, we consulted with an attorney seven months after our daughter was sexually assaulted at her high school. She (the attorney) was the one that informed us of our daughters Civil Rights under Title IX. It opened up a whole new world for me, studying the law, researching cases… Why is it that schools do not take the Federal Govt. serious with following the rules? And what can I do to help make change?

5. Avatar Maanasa says:

Secretary Duncan,

Do you think Title IX will need to be enforced 20 years in the future?

Has Title IX had a negative impact on the achievement of boys/men in the area of Athletics (as claimed by many Title IX opponents) and education?

Why did Title IX have a bigger impact in achieving equality in sports when compared to areas of academics?

Thanks,
    Maanasa

6. Avatar Priya says:

Secretary Duncan,
    To be compliant under Title IX, do schools need to have a policy to encourage STEM programs for girls? Is there any new emerging area that is being covered under Title IX?

7. Avatar Priya says:

Secretary Duncan,

We are doing a project on Tile IX and was wondering;

Besides athletics and higher education, does Title IX have the potential to be a revolution for any other areas?

8. Avatar Kavya says:

Secretary Duncan,
    I am an 8th grader doing a project on Title IX and I have some questions…

What challenges does Title IX enforcement face?

Where can I find historical charts about the number and nature of complaints filed under Title IX?

9. Avatar Jill Annable says:

Secretary Duncan,
    Are professional development opportunities available for educators in regard to Title IX? In other words, how do teachers become more knowledgeable in providing learning experiences for both genders?

10. Avatar Kavya says:

Secretary Duncan,

Do you have a message for kids about raising awareness for the protections provided by Title IX?

– 8th grade student from Austin, Texas

11. Avatar Susan Russell says:

Secretary Duncan,

Here’s my question. I have an active Title IX case that was submitted in 2004 that is STILL BEING INVESTIGATED. Your representatives continue to assure me that the matter is being looked into. I cannot believe any case would take this long to resolve. Do you find a ten year investigation acceptable? The Dear Colleague Letter clarified all points in my complaint. I would appreciate it if you would personally look into this matter and contact me at the information I am providing.

12. erinprangley erinprangley says:

Here’s my question: Does Dept enforce T9 in areas other than athletics? For example, STEM opportunities for women? I’m hoping to find out on Friday when Secretary Duncan answers our questions!