Equity in the News 4-17-08April 17, 2008
News from April 6-15
- AAUW branches gear up for Equal Pay Day.
- While several other branches host science and math conferences around the country.
- And we thought it was bad here: Italian women fight for their share of parliamentary power.
- New Jersey paid family leave bill awaits governor’s signature.
- Author Linda Babcock offers words for women to live by.
- As a girl growing up in South Ozone Park, Estrella Ham remembers, she would stand in her backyard and watch the bellies of planes landing at nearby JFK airport as they flew over. “I’d try to see if I could guess what model and what airline they were,” she says.
- “Girls rule at Aviation High School.
- Congress held hearings on the recent reported assaults on women contractors working in Iraq.
- A New York Times op-ed offers an interesting perspective on gender and racial prejudice and whether one is “worse” than the other.