AAUW is Looking for a Social Media and Media Relations Intern
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is a national membership organization, founded in 1881. Our mission is to advance equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research.
The Social Media/Media Relations Intern will learn how AAUW uses various media to advance our mission, see how the internal online content processes works, and assist in the curation, production, and assessment of media clips and online content.
The Social Media/Media Relations Intern will also work closely assisting departments, programs, and members better use social media to achieve their communications and outreach goals/ and promote AAUW events, research and programs via targeted outreach to traditional and social media sites.
- Assist the online team with daily tasks of coordinating, producing, posting, and promoting social and online content; may include Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, blog and website posts.
- Write blogs and articles for AAUW’s website, as well as text for social media platforms and press releases, and media advisories for media relations.
- Attend regular meetings with program staff in order to translate their needs to online and social media.
- Help research and assess new tools and channels that may further our goals and improve efficiency.
- Media relations activities, media monitoring, and news item compilation reporting
- Tracking issues of importance to AAUW in the news and online
- Researching and assisting with building outreach contact lists
- Coordinating event planning and logistics
- Assist in designing and implementing online and social media campaigns; may include images and shareables, Facebook ads, AdWords, and advocacy-related campaigns.
- Help answer questions and requests from AAUW staff and members about social media.
- Assist in coordinating AAUW’s online content schedule.
- Assist in tracking social media metrics.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent writing is an essential requirement
- Current student or earned degree in public/media relations, communications, marketing and/or journalism
- Strong oral communications, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Proficiency with and comfort using social and new media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) and Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Familiarity with Meltwater media monitoring platform or similar software a plus
- Ability to multitask and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Strong interest in women’s equity and social justice issues
- Experience preparing spokespersons for media interviews a plus
- Photography, copy editing (AP style preferred), and/or video and video editing skills a plus
- Familiarity with use of Flip Camera for capturing short video material a plus
- Ability to work 30 hours/week preferred.
Submit a résumé with cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications, along with a relevant writing sample, by e-mail indicating position title to AAUW Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.