STEM Branch Programs Serve 10,000 Girls Nationwide
AAUW member volunteers in 45 states held branch programs for more than 10,000 girls in 2012. Many of these girls were in middle school, a critical time when girls often lose interest in science and math classes due to gender stereotypes and social pressure. AAUW branches put the recommendations from the AAUW report Why So Few? Women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics into action to help girls believe in themselves and aspire to become the next generation of scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and computer scientists.
Find a Program in Your Backyard
For a long time, AAUW branches across the country have been empowering girls and teens in their communities with programs that build skills and confidence in the highly male-dominated STEM fields. The information on this page is based on a 2013 survey by the AAUW STEM Task Force of branch and state leaders about their STEM programming. Download the full report for more detail.
States with AAUW STEM Programs
AAUW sponsors more than 150 STEM programs in 45 states.
Hands-On Activities Inspire Girls.
AAUW’s branch STEM programs are highly focused on hands-on activities that let girls engage directly with STEM and show them how their skills are valuable in the real world. At branch events, girls and their families have the opportunity to listen to presentations from women professionals and older STEM students, conduct scientific experiments, use computers for research, build robots, connect with mentors, and go on field trips and site visits.
One AAUW branch has been breaking down stereotypes in STEM for 24 years:
AAUW Farmers Branch Carrollton (TX) Branch hosts Reach for the Stars
Reach for the Stars is a career workshop featuring hands-on activities for girls and opportunities to meet STEM role models, with a focus on the “growth mindset” promoted in the Why So Few? research report. At the workshop girls learn that if they persevere, they can continue to grow and build their skills in STEM.
Anyone Can Take Action for Girls in STEM!
- Volunteer at an AAUW event near you. Check your local branch’s site for programming and events.
- Don’t see your state on the map above? Send your program name, date, and a web link for your branch’s program or event to email@example.com. If we hear about your event in advance, we’ll include it in the Spotlight on STEM newsletter, which goes out to AAUW STEM leaders across the country.
- Read Spotlight on STEM to learn about upcoming programs in your area. Subscribe by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name and contact information.
- Bring a STEM program to your community! Use our teentech™ Program in a Box, and see the information from our STEM event-planning workshop at the 2013 AAUW National Convention to get started.
- Support AAUW’s national STEM programs. You can get involved with AAUW’s Tech Trek and Tech Savvy programs by giving to AAUW or volunteering at a site in your area. Contact us to find out more.