Advocacy isn’t just about AAUW lending our name to an issue or speaking up on Capitol Hill. Advocacy is about AAUW members and all citizens concerned with equity being knowledgeable and aware of the current status of important issues.
For more information on our advocacy efforts, select a policy topic below or see AAUW’s Public Policy Program.
For further information on how you can influence the debate, visit AAUW’s Action Network.
For information about our federal legislative priorities for the 114th Congress, download our legislative priorities document.
AAUW advocates for equality, individual rights, and social justice for a diverse society.
- Affirmative action
- Equal Rights Amendment
- Federal judicial nominations
- Hate crimes prevention
- Human trafficking
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues
- Reproductive rights
AAUW advocates for all women to achieve economic self-sufficiency.
AAUW supports a strong system of public education that promotes gender fairness, equity, and diversity.
- Career and technical education
- Charter schools
- Common core standards
- Education and training in welfare/Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Higher education
- No Child Left Behind Act
- School vouchers
- Single-sex education
- Science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education
- Sexual harassment and violence in school
AAUW supports vigorous enforcement of Title IX and all other civil rights laws pertaining to education.