State Membership Vice President (MVP) Position Description
The state membership vice president oversees efforts to recruit and sustain a diverse, active membership in the state.
Responsibilities to Your State
- Assemble a state membership committee to develop and implement your stateʼs membership activities.
- Evaluate previous state membership development efforts, assess current membership and state demographics, and identify underrepresented groups that you would like to recruit.
- Develop a state membership action plan with measurable goals and objectives. Your plan should support branch and state recruitment efforts and recognize branches for growth, retention, diversity, and significant anniversaries.
- Ensure that membership development priorities are integrated throughout your stateʼs strategic plan.
- Communicate your state membership goals to your branches and support their membership development efforts.
- Recruit national members in your state and encourage them to become branch members when possible.
- Encourage usage of social media to recruit and retain members.
- Attend and participate in membership and leadership trainings via webinars, workshops, and other opportunities provided by the national office and other outlets.
- Seek out opportunities to promote membership, sponsor membership events, and facilitate membership recruitment at community activities.
- Work with other state officers and committees to integrate membership with other state priorities, including diversity, public policy and voter education, the AAUW Legal Advocacy Fund, fellowships and grants, leadership programs, and visibility.
- Promote the formation of branches and satellites in the state. Serve as a key resource for branch and
student organizers and for branches that are developing satellites, disbanding, or merging.
- Report on state membership statistics and trends as requested.
- Develop and oversee the membership budget in your state.
Responsibilities to Branches in Your State
Maintain regular contact with your branch membership vie presidents and support their membership development efforts through motivation, encouragement, regular communication, technical assistance and support, and membership recruitment workshops and training at state and regional conferences.
Responsibilities to AAUW
Compile and maintain state membership reports. Adhere to all AAUW membership policies. Educate yourself on the current AAUW Bylaws. Encourage branches to do the same.
Leadership Skills Helpful to the Position
A good candidate will have experience in planning and goal setting, communications, marketing, team building, consensus building, and leadership development.
Along with the time necessary to accomplish the above responsibilities, this position requires time to serve on the state board of directors and other committees as assigned. Attendance at state conventions and board meetings is required. Attendance at the AAUW National Convention is strongly encouraged.