Your Every Question Answered: Advocacy How-to Guides
From a young age, we’re taught that most of what we need to know can be found by answering the five W’s (who, what, when, where, and why). But the most important, and often the most elusive, question to answer is the H — the how. That’s why AAUW’s Public Policy and Government Relations Department has compiled a set of resources to guide you in advocating for women and girls through a variety of tactics and actions.
Attend a Webinar
You can use these resources to familiarize yourself with tried-and-true techniques, to explore new ways to make your events a success, or to train new members and leaders who want to get involved in advocacy. Don’t see a resource on here that you think would be helpful? Let us know! We’re always making new resources — all you have to do is ask!
- Binder Full of Organizers: How to Build Coalitions beyond the Usual Suspects
- Say Yes to the Ask: How to Talk the Advocacy Talk
- I Have a Dream: Moving People to Action with Your Personal Story
- How to Hold a Meeting with an Elected Official
- How to Organize an Issue Forum
- Tabling: Tips and Tricks for Creating AAUW Visibility
- A Strong Showing: How to Host a Rally
- How to Organize an Effective Petition Campaign
- How to Organize a Candidate Forum
- Did Someone Say Cake? Sweet Support for the Paycheck Fairness Act
- Social Media 101: Getting Started with Facebook and Twitter
- Social Media 201: Leveraging Social Media to Increase Your Visibility
Get Out the Vote
- How to Organize a Voter Registration Drive
- How to Get Out the Vote on College Campuses
- Get Out the Vote Do’s and Don’ts
The AAUW Action Fund provides get-out-the-vote resources and materials.
Planning an AAUW advocacy event? Let us know!