Advocating for Women and GirlsFebruary 14, 2013
Empowering women as individuals and as a community is what we are all about. As a national grassroots organization, we have made a lasting positive impact through our Legal Advocacy Fund, Action Fund, and Public Policy initiatives. We focus on issues of civil rights, economic security, and education to advocate for women and girls.
With the help of volunteers across the country, during the 2012 campaign season we launched a nonpartisan, nationwide voter education and turnout campaign, It’s My Vote: I Will Be Heard, through the Action Fund. The campaign registered tens of thousands of voters. We have supported veterans who are victims of sexual assault, turned AAUW’s important sexual harassment research into concrete action in America’s middle and high schools, and supported Title IX victories throughout the law’s 40-year history.
AAUW has made many more accomplishments on other fronts in 2012:
- The AAUW Legal Advocacy Fund disbursed $100,000 to support 10 lawsuits, including class actions Wal-Mart v. Dukes, Cioca v. Rumsfeld and other military sexual assault cases, and Klay v Panetta.
- We released Graduating to a Pay Gap: The Earnings of Women and Men One Year after College Graduation, a research report exploring the earning difference between women and men college graduates one year after graduation.
- AAUW members and supporters sent more than 100,000 letters to Capitol Hill and the Obama administration calling for pay equity through our Two-Minute Activist program.
- We reached 30 campuses and more than 600 participants through Elect Her–Campus Women Win, the only program in the country that trains college women to run for student government.
- With the passage of an AAUW-supported bill, Congress prevented student loan interest rates from doubling this summer, helping those with student loans meet their commitment in a tough economy.
Join AAUW today as we carry out projects that empower women and men in our communities and across the country. It’s what we’ve been doing since 1881 and it’s what we’ll continue to do.