Dear AAUW Members and SupportersMarch 21, 2014
What would AAUW look like without you?
It’s not a world we want to imagine. After all, for more than 130 years, AAUW members, supporters, and volunteers have changed history by actively improving the lives of women and girls.
It takes countless tasks to keep an organization like AAUW working in so many corners of the world. Yet you do them every day, and the results are powerful. On behalf of the entire AAUW staff at 16th and L in Washington, D.C., we thank you.
We are so grateful for all you’re doing:
- Empowering women to open educational doors and enter fields that don’t always welcome them
- Supporting groundbreaking research that debunks the myths that keep women from pursuing their education and career goals
- Taking AAUW’s research to the next level by bringing it into local communities to change minds and lives
- Transforming students into leaders by funding and facilitating training, conferences, and opportunities for mentorship and networking
- Fighting discrimination in higher education and the workplace and providing legal advocacy support to right the injustices we see every day
- Advocating for equity and education on Capitol Hill and in the halls of local and state governments
- Building and sustaining local AAUW communities for yourselves, your friends, your neighbors, and the women who will come after you
- Heeding the call to lead AAUW at all levels — branch, state, national, and global
- And living lives that inspire others and change history.
There’s no doubt in our minds that the women and girls of today and tomorrow will continue to build on the foundation you have provided. AAUW members of five, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, or more years — we treasure you and hold you close. For your work, your passion, and your commitment to AAUW, there are no words but “thanks.”
This post was written by AAUW Executive Director Linda Hallman and AAUW President Patricia Fae Ho.