Are You Ready for Equal Pay Day?December 06, 2012
The new year may be right around the corner, but it will take an extra four months for women’s earnings to catch up to men’s earnings from the year before. The symbolic day when women’s earnings finally make up the 23 percent difference is known as Equal Pay Day. As usual, AAUW will host special events and distribute resources to help celebrate the work that has been done and that still needs to be done to ensure women receive equal pay for equal work.
It is never too early to start preparing for Equal Pay Day — April 9, 2013. This year will be especially important, as 2013 marks the 50th anniversary of the Equal Pay Act.
What will your state or branch do to observe Equal Pay Day? AAUW has updated our Pay Equity Resource Kit with suggested ideas for action, facts and figures about pay equity, the latest AAUW research, and step-by-step instructions for planning activities. Here is just a sampling of what the resource kit can help you accomplish:
- Organize reading and discussion sessions. Lilly Ledbetter’s book, Grace and Grit, would make a great selection!
- Issue a press release for Equal Pay Day. A sample press release is included in the resource kit.
- Hold in-district meetings with your members of Congress. The resource kit walks you through the process of requesting a meeting, preparing for that meeting, and following up with members of Congress and their staff afterward.
- Complete a workplace pay audit for your office, and encourage branch and state members to do the same.
- Organize a petition to show that there is a high level of popular support for pay equity legislation.
- Conduct a public information campaign. You can raise awareness about the need for legislation to end discrimination against women in the labor market.
- Ask your members of Congress and state legislators to sign a fair pay pledge. The resource kit includes sample pledges.
Download the complete AAUW Pay Equity Resource Kit today to get started! You can also request pay equity stickers and other materials by e-mailing email@example.com.