Win a Signed Copy of Lilly Ledbetter’s Book

April 09, 2012

Grace and Grit by Lilly LedbetterEqual Pay Day is not our favorite holiday.

Next Tuesday, April 17, is the symbolic day when women’s wages catch up with what men made last year. We’d much prefer to mark the occasion on December 31, and we’re working hard to make that happen.

In the meantime, we’ll still mark Equal Pay Day every year. But at least there will be a silver lining on the unhappy occasion this year. We’re giving away a signed copy of Lilly Ledbetter’s new book, Grace and Grit, to the person who can best explain why fair pay is an important election issue.

Here’s how you can win:

1. In the comments section, tell us why fair pay matters in the 2012 election. Need inspiration? Start with AAUW Executive Director Linda Hallman’s thoughts on last year’s Equal Pay Day events.
  2. Check back here on Equal Pay Day (Tuesday, April 17) to read the top answers and find out who the lucky winner is.
  3. Cross your fingers that you win!

It’s that easy! Now get to it.

By:   |   April 09, 2012

1. Marguerite O'Connor says:

Fair pay is such an important issue because it validates the contributions that women and men have been making. Fair pay balances the stressors and the rewards that men, women and children navigate. Thus, it also becomes an important election issue as the consequences affect everyone. Focus on fair pay and witness and release your potential.

2. Wendi Schirvar says:

Never pick up a hot pan with a damp towel. This was a post on my progressive and well-educated female friends facebook. And it got me thinking… what lessons have we learned as a country about the significant role women play in our society? Do we need to keep getting burned by the hot pan before we realize the problem? …Equal pay should be everyone’s concern. The fact that we are still…this many centuries into our country’s birth…arguing about loop holes that have permitted pay inequality based on a person’s genitalia is absurd. We should be ashamed…all of us.
    Yet, I am a single mother of three children and I don’t have time to fight this fight. I am too busy working every job possible, finishing my PhD and doing what I’ve always done…..on top of all of this, caring for my children. I’m not complaining… it’s the reality most women live and sometimes we’re too tired to remember…never pick up a hot pan with a damp towel.
    I hope to receive a copy of this book for my boys to read…so they can make a difference.

3. Dorian says:

Payment for service or goods is supposed to be a reflection of effort and ingenuity…But it also helps to initiate effort and ingenuity. This is not just a woman’s issue; equal compensation for equal work can only have a positive effect on productivity, which, in the end benefits both genders, indiscriminately.

4. Jane Bloom says:

Fair Pay is Fair Play and has nothing to do with gender. It’s about the job that needs doing, and those with the qualifications and experience who are eligible to meet the task. IMO Fair Pay is not always fair. In fact over the years I’ve found that we women are usually better organized, are better at details, and when it comes to multi-tasking without peer. As women continue to shatter the “glass ceiling” often imposed upon them, the sky is the limit to soar to new heights. Equal and Fair Pay is the common denominator for keeping score.

5. Christine Youngs says:

Fair pay matters in the 2012 election because:
    * the U.S. Constitution guarantees equal treatment under the law;
    * real families are affected every day: typical married households rely on women’s income for 36% of a family’s total income; 34% of working mothers are their families’ ONLY source of income;
    * although the pay gap between men and women has narrowed over time, it has slowed over the past ten years to the point that, at this rate, it will take 60 more years — that’s another 2 generations of women and girls! — until it disappears completely;
    * we can only see this gap close faster with real policy change, such as passage of the Paycheck Fairness Act by Congress, and stronger enforcement of existing laws by the DOJ and EEOC;
    * therefore, we must elect representatives and a president who will support and sign such vital legislation, and push to enforce strong civil rights laws prohibiting gender discrimination of any kind, including disparate pay!

6. Barbara Burgo says:

Since I’ve turned 60 and began earning a Masters Certificate in Gerontology, my keen interest in Equal Pay over the past 4 decades has turned into a life’s mission rather than just a passion! Realizing that I will retire after working since I was a teenager first at an after-school job at my local City Hall which I obtained as a poor black child under the Neighborhood help programs in the ’60s, Then, working at the local Raytheon Company where I, too was sexually and racially harassed, complained to my supervisors, friends and colleagues almost daily but to no avail…was told I shouldn’t look so cute, nor wear an Afro so people wouldn’t want to touch my hair to see if it felt like steel wool…or touch my skin to see if the color would “rub off.” Like the sexual harassment cases that have become so rampant in the military, government is predominantly run by men at all levels and pay equity is the next “hidden” problem that we need to uncover. When the local plant closed down in the early ’70′s horrific recession of that decade, I did not take the long trip to the northern end of the state for the “secretarial job” they offered me because I knew it would be more of the same. No, the pay scales that are public record for the goverment don’t even protect us as women who don’t know how to “play the game>” I later worked at another government job where a man who sat next to me told me he started at the same grade that I did, but he questioned did not accept the Step 1 offer on that pay grade. He negotiated to begin at Step 2. As a “graceful woman” like Lilly…I “assumed” that all began at Step 1 because it was the first step in a grade. Well, he shrugged and told me that he came in at Step 2 because Step 1 simply was not enough money for him! This helped bust another myth I had believed simply because I didn’t know better. In learning to “follow the rules” to me Step 1 is where all new employees began within their grade! I have been “shortchanged” all my life and when I stand my ground for my rights, I generally get relieved of my duties, either using the downsizing excuse, not getting called back for a FEMA disaster duty or simply terminated! I will retire where far too many women do, near the poverty line. But, with the satisfaction that I have done what Lilly has done, only on a smaller scale with less visible results…and far less notariety. However, I help mentor younger women within AAUW and without to get their fair share, in ways that will hopefully not cost them their jobs! I, too was honored and proud to meet Lilly at last year’s National Conference, so if I do not win the book, I will buy it…. and have begun to write my own! Thanks Lilly for the inspiration and legacy!…and for hanging in there through workplace and family issues. I have had many of the same hurdles to overcome and know how they cost us much more than money!